• Re: Quarantine Projects

From MIKE POWELL@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Tue Apr 7 17:39:00 2020
    I have found that, even though I seem to be busier than when in theã> MP> office, I am cursing and drinking less. I think that must = lowerã> MP> stress level than in the office.ãã> MP> Maybe I an finding out what those millenials mean by "safe space." :Dãã> Maybe you need a new office? :)ããI had one I liked. Back about 9 months ago, they decided to shuffle prettyãmuch everyone in the building around. I am still close to equally spacedãfrom others as I was before, but I am one of the lucky ones. I think it isãironic that they crammed a bunch of people together in other areas, and gotãdone just in time for this virus to hit.ããOnce this is all over, those folks will be back to being packed likeãsardines.ãã * SLMR 2.1a * A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. -J.Springfieldãã---ã . BgNet 1.0.12 . moe's tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27ã
  • From MIKE POWELL@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to VK3JED on Thu Apr 23 16:07:00 2020
    And some businesses in the "prohibited" category are still trading, by ceasingã>only those activities that are prohibited. For example, many cafes haveã>switched to offering take away coffee and food, which is allowed, but haveã>stopped their sit in dining. Even pubs have taken to offering take away/homeã>delivery of their meals, which is a new thing, because pubs are very much a sitã>in tradition for dining.ããThat is how they did restaurants and other shoppes here... if you can carryãon business by take-away or drive-up, and enforce distancing, you can stayãopen. You can also do so if you can sell on the Internet.ããThat said, a lot of smaller shoppes had to close down because they were notãInternet ready and could not show there wares easily in the other mannersãspecified. Some folks are wondering why the big box stores (groceries,ãhome centers, etc.) are allowed to remain open while the "mom-and-pops" inãthe same category are not. Having been in a large grocery as recently asã2-3 weeks ago, I can see their point... everyone is supposed to distanceãbut a lot of shoppers (and even workers) seen to refuse to do so, so theãstore being larger is not really helping anything.ãã>We don't have that one here. However, the major supermarkets have taken itã>upon themselves to offer special trading hours for vulnerable people (those onã>a disability or aged pension, etc) and emergency service workers.ããOur stores do that, too, but there were still too many people here takingãtheir whole families shopping during the other hours. When I was younger,ãthat was not a thing but, these days, shopping is a family outing. I canãunderstand it when you are a single parent and no one can watch the kids,ãbut it is usually at least two grown-ups and 2+ kids.ãã> MP> walking during my 15 minute workbreaks here at home vs. at theã> MP> office... it is not all flat here. :)ãã> Getting fit, are we? :DããI have lost some weight since not being at the office. I have more foodãreadily available here but also do not do as much "nervous eating" like Iãwould at the office.ãã * SLMR 2.1a * A KGB keyboard has no ESC key.ãã---ã . BgNet 1.0.12 . moe's tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27ã
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MIKE POWELL on Fri Apr 24 17:53:00 2020
    On 04-23-20 16:07, MIKE POWELL wrote to VK3JED <=-ãã MP> That is how they did restaurants and other shoppes here... if you canã MP> carry on business by take-away or drive-up, and enforce distancing, youã MP> can stay open. You can also do so if you can sell on the Internet.ããYep, makes sense.ãã MP> That said, a lot of smaller shoppes had to close down because they wereã MP> not Internet ready and could not show there wares easily in the otherã MP> manners specified. Some folks are wondering why the big box storesã MP> (groceries, home centers, etc.) are allowed to remain open while theã MP> "mom-and-pops" in the same category are not. Having been in a largeã MP> grocery as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, I can see their point... everyoneã MP> is supposed to distance but a lot of shoppers (and even workers) seenã MP> to refuse to do so, so the store being larger is not really helpingã MP> anything.ããHere, shops of all sizes, especially the supermarkets have stuck large Cs orãspots on the floor, indicating where people are to stand when in a queue. ãThere's also screens in place and other measures. Most stores also insist orãat least have a strong preference for contactless payment.ãã MP> Our stores do that, too, but there were still too many people hereã MP> taking their whole families shopping during the other hours. When Iã MP> was younger, that was not a thing but, these days, shopping is a familyã MP> outing. I can understand it when you are a single parent and no oneã MP> can watch the kids, but it is usually at least two grown-ups and 2+ã MP> kids.ããHmm, it was a family thing when I was a kid. It was common to leave school andãmeet Mum at the supermarket. :)ãã > MP> walking during my 15 minute workbreaks here at home vs. at theã > MP> office... it is not all flat here. :)ãã > Getting fit, are we? :Dãã MP> I have lost some weight since not being at the office. I have moreã MP> food readily available here but also do not do as much "nervous eating"ã MP> like I would at the office.ããGood to hear. :)ããã... He's as sharp as a marble.ã--- MultiMail/Win v0.51ã þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.auã
  • From Dr. What@VERT/TWODUDES to MIKE POWELL on Sat Apr 25 09:54:00 2020
    MIKE POWELL wrote to VK3JED <=-ãã MP> I have lost some weight since not being at the office. I have moreã MP> food readily available here but also do not do as much "nervous eating"ã MP> like I would at the office.ããMy company has a lunch room filled with free junk food. Needless to say, I amãhappy that I don't have that temptation when working from home. My home tendsãto be filled with healthier food that isn't as easy to snack on.ããBut my Man Cave is right next to the exercise room. So while my software isãbuilding, I can step next door and do some light weights.ããã... Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ Two Dudes BBS - twodudesbbs.comã