• WE'RE GETTING A MICRO CENTER!

From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to All on Tue May 21 21:34:01 2024
    They're opening one up about 20 miles away from me. Since Fry's closed down, it's been tough sourcing parts - there's only one store in the area, and it's much smaller than Fry's/MC.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed May 22 08:15:24 2024
    Re: WE'RE GETTING A MICRO CENTER!
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Tue May 21 2024 09:34 pm

They're opening one up about 20 miles away from me. Since Fry's closed down, it's been tough sourcing parts - there's only one store in the area, and it's much smaller than Fry's/MC.

Nice! There's absolutely nothing like that near me other than a Best Buy, and that's really no better than Walmart.

Occasionally I travel for my job, so when I was out in Virginia last week I picked up a couple Raspberry Pi 5s at the Fairfax Micro Center.

DaiTengu

...I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed May 22 10:53:46 2024
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Tue May 21 2024 09:34 pm

That's cool. :)
    There was a Fry's not too far from where I live, and since they closed down, I thought it would be a prime candidate for a Micro Center. I posted about that somewhere on a Micro Center messageboard, and it seems there are other people who would also like a Micro Center in this area. I hope they consider building a location out here.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to DaiTengu on Wed May 22 10:55:32 2024
    By: DaiTengu to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed May 22 2024 08:15 am

Nice! There's absolutely nothing like that near me other than a Best Buy, and that's really no better than Walmart.

Occasionally I travel for my job, so when I was out in Virginia last week I picked up a couple Raspberry Pi 5s at the Fairfax Micro Center.

In my area, there used to be a CompUSA and multiple small independent computer stores, and an Egghead Software, where I'd buy computer parts and software. Now, they're pretty much all gone. The only real option for a local store is Best Buy. I buy pretty much all my computer parts online now, usually from Amazon or NewEgg.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Wed May 22 16:00:59 2024
    By: Nightfox to DaiTengu on Wed May 22 2024 10:55 am

In my area, there used to be a CompUSA and multiple small independent computer stores, and an Egghead Software, where I'd buy computer parts and software. Now, they're pretty much all gone. The only real option for a local store is Best Buy. I buy pretty much all my computer parts online now, usually from Amazon or NewEgg.

those are the best places to buy stuff.
    amazon has same day delivery for a LOT of things.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to MRO on Wed May 22 23:35:43 2024
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Wed May 22 2024 04:00 pm

those are the best places to buy stuff.
    amazon has same day delivery for a LOT of things.

you pay a premium for it with electronics, even with Prime.

especially for stuff where Amazon or the Amazon seller isn't an "authorized reseller" like with Raspberry Pis.

The MSRP for an 8GB Pi 5 is $79.99

Most of the online stores that have it take about a week or so to ship it to you.

Amazon COULD overnight it to me, but I'd pay at least $98

DaiTengu

...Variables won`t; constants aren`t.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Thu May 23 06:46:00 2024
    Nightfox wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

There was a Fry's not too far from where I live, and since they closed down, I thought it would be a prime candidate for a Micro Center. I posted about that somewhere on a Micro Center messageboard, and it
    seems there are other people who would also like a Micro Center in this area. I hope they consider building a location out here.

I've wondered what they're going to do with those old buildings. The one
    I used to frequent looks like an aztec pyramid. I'd love to see it
    turned into a funky office, but silicon valley is a ghost town thanks to
    remote work.

... Are they real, the things I experienced?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 23 09:58:27 2024
    Re: Re: WE'RE GETTING A MICRO CENTER!
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Thu May 23 2024 06:46 am

There was a Fry's not too far from where I live, and since they closed

I've wondered what they're going to do with those old buildings. The one I used to frequent looks like an aztec pyramid. I'd love to see it turned into a funky office, but silicon valley is a ghost town thanks to remote work.

The Fry's in my area wasn't themed, so it looked like pretty much any other big store. The building actually wasn't built by Fry's - It was originally an Incredible Universe (which didn't last long), and when they closed, Fry's moved into the building.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nopants@VERT/CITBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 23 10:13:00 2024
    Re: WE'RE GETTING A MICRO CEN
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Tue May 21 2024 10:34 pm

Subject: WE'RE GETTING A MICRO CENTER!

<3 Microcenter ! Congrats !

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Crack in Time BBS - crackintimebbs.ddns.net:2323