• New Toy!

From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to All on Thu Dec 10 07:56:28 2020
    So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has an AMD „A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't know a laptop „could boot that fast. 16 seconds from power on. I want to thank everyone that „recommended Lenevo. It really is built to last. I don't need help with it right„now. I just to post my joy :-) „„ |13 HusTler„ „... Open mouth, insert foot, echo internationally.„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net„
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to HusTler on Thu Dec 10 11:41:15 2020
    Re: New Toy!„ By: HusTler to All on Thu Dec 10 2020 07:56 am„„ > So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has an A„ > A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't know a lapt„ > could boot that fast. 16 seconds from power on. I want to thank everyone tha„ > recommended Lenevo. It really is built to last. I don't need help with it ri„ > now. I just to post my joy :-)„ > „ > |13 HusTler„ > „ > ... Open mouth, insert foot, echo internationally.„ > „„Glad you like it. How much did it cost to you?„--„gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL„
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Arelor on Fri Dec 11 08:33:51 2020
    Re: New Toy!„ By: Arelor to HusTler on Thu Dec 10 2020 11:41 am„„ > > So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has„ > > an A A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't„„ > Glad you like it. How much did it cost to you?„„ $290 plus tax $310. I'm confident it will last 10 years or when I kick the bucket. Which ever comes first. That is if I don't spill my morning cup of coffee all over it like I did with my last new laptop. ;-)„„... Remind me never to put off until tomorrow the things I've already put off„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net„
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to HusTler on Fri Dec 11 16:01:31 2020
    Re: New Toy!„ By: HusTler to Arelor on Fri Dec 11 2020 08:33 am„„ > Re: New Toy!„ > By: Arelor to HusTler on Thu Dec 10 2020 11:41 am„ > „ > > > So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has„ > > > an A A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't„ > „ > > Glad you like it. How much did it cost to you?„ > „ > $290 plus tax $310. I'm confident it will last 10 years or when I kick the„ > bucket. Which ever comes first. That is if I don't spill my morning cup of„ > coffee all over it like I did with my last new laptop. ;-)„ > „ > ... Remind me never to put off until tomorrow the things I've already put of„ > „„That sounds like a good deal.„„I am not a great fan of SSD but I can see the advantages for a portable unit.„„BTW it is depressing to note how low your tax on purchases is when compared to„ours. I'd be putting 351 dollar for the same computer on the tax difference :-(„--„gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL„
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Fri Dec 11 21:10:55 2020
    Re: New Toy!„ By: HusTler to All on Thu Dec 10 2020 07:56 am„„ Hu> So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has an„ Hu> AMD A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't know„ Hu> a laptop could boot that fast. 16 seconds from power on. I want to thank„ Hu> everyone that recommended Lenevo. It really is built to last. I don't need„ Hu> help with it right now. I just to post my joy :-) „„„i got an SSD but i havent been using it much. i havent even migrated over yet.„i installed some games on it and didnt really notice much of a difference.„just wow played better because it's poorly designed.„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::„
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to HusTler on Sat Dec 12 07:23:00 2020
    HusTler wrote to All <=-„„ Hu> So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has„ Hu> an AMD A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't„ Hu> know a laptop could boot that fast. 16 seconds from power on. I want to„ Hu> thank everyone that recommended Lenevo. It really is built to last. I„ Hu> don't need help with it right now. I just to post my joy :-)„„I miss the old days. From 2008 to 2012 or so, my company had Dell„dual-core laptops with spinning drives. I'd boot the computer up, log„in, then go get my first cup of coffee, chat in the break room with„friends, then come back to a completely booted computer.„„The Dell E420s came with a 4200 rpm 1.8" drive - those were especially„sluggish in booting up.„„There's no time for such frivolity now. Press Power. Zang! Logged in -„get to work, Flintstone!„„„„... The exception also declares the rule„--- MultiMail/XT v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org„
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Sat Dec 12 07:24:00 2020
    Arelor wrote to HusTler <=-„„ Ar> I am not a great fan of SSD but I can see the advantages for a portable„ Ar> unit.„„For a desktop, I'd rather get 2 huge drives and mirror them for the„price of an SSD. Although mirroring two SSDs wouldn't be bad...„„„„... The exception also declares the rule„--- MultiMail/XT v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org„
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 10:15:26 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Sat Dec 12 2020 07:24 am„„ PF> For a desktop, I'd rather get 2 huge drives and mirror them for the„ PF> price of an SSD. Although mirroring two SSDs wouldn't be bad...„„Hard drive prices seem fairly cheap these days. You can get an 8TB drive (and maybe a 10TB drive) for around $200 or a little less. Even a 7200rpm drive.„„Nightfox„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com„
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 13:18:46 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Sat Dec 12 2020 07:24 am„„„ PF> -=> Arelor wrote to HusTler <=-„„ Ar>> I am not a great fan of SSD but I can see the advantages for a„ Ar>> portable unit.„„ PF> For a desktop, I'd rather get 2 huge drives and mirror them for the„ PF> price of an SSD. Although mirroring two SSDs wouldn't be bad...„„„„have you SEEN the price of ssds? they are super cheap now„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::„
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 13:30:36 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Sat Dec 12 2020 07:24 am„„ > -=> Arelor wrote to HusTler <=-„ > „ > Ar> I am not a great fan of SSD but I can see the advantages for a portable„ > Ar> unit.„ > „ > For a desktop, I'd rather get 2 huge drives and mirror them for the„ > price of an SSD. Although mirroring two SSDs wouldn't be bad...„ > „ > „ > „ > ... The exception also declares the rule„„Hey, you can always use an SSD for cache or for journaling, and a regular HDD„for storage, like the real pros.„--„gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL„
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to MRO on Sat Dec 12 16:20:50 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 2020 01:18 pm„„MR> have you SEEN the price of ssds? they are super cheap now„„$200 ain't bad for a 2TB SSD, but you can get a 2TB SATA drive for a quarter of that.„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org„
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Sat Dec 12 16:24:09 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 2020 01:30 pm„„Ar> Hey, you can always use an SSD for cache or for journaling, and a regular„Ar> HDD for storage, like the real pros.„„I'm playing with Readyboost on an SSD now; seems to help a bit. „„Our older Lenovo laptops had 16 GB NVMe drives and 500 GB spinning SATA drives - it turns out there's an Intel driver that uses the NVMe drive as a big cache.„„No such luck for linux, I used it for swap and /tmp.„„Reminded me of the hybrid SATA drives I bought by the case back in 2012 or so. Nice idea, made a nice compromise between speed and cost - quite a bit faster than a plain SATA drive for not much more cost.„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org„
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 21:18:04 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: poindexter FORTRAN to MRO on Sat Dec 12 2020 04:20 pm„„ MR>> have you SEEN the price of ssds? they are super cheap now„„ PF> $200 ain't bad for a 2TB SSD, but you can get a 2TB SATA drive for a„ PF> quarter of that.„„„Well most people are getting it for their OS to speed things up.„so 2tb is too big.„„and if you are a gamer there arent any games out that take that much space.„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::„
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Dec 13 10:47:05 2020
    Re: Re: New Toy!„ By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 2020 09:18 pm„„ MR>>> have you SEEN the price of ssds? they are super cheap now„„ PF>> $200 ain't bad for a 2TB SSD, but you can get a 2TB SATA drive for„ PF>> a quarter of that.„„ MR> Well most people are getting it for their OS to speed things up.„ MR> so 2tb is too big.„„ MR> and if you are a gamer there arent any games out that take that much„ MR> space.„„It's good to have an inexpensive option for storage though.. I need something to store all my photos (which go back many years), music, etc. I also like taking photos and doing photo editing sometimes, as well as some occasional light video editing. I recently bought an 8TB 7200RPM HDD for my PC for less than $200.„„Nightfox„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com„
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Sun Dec 13 11:41:00 2020
    Re: New Toy!„ By: MRO to HusTler on Fri Dec 11 2020 09:10 pm„„ > Re: New Toy!„ > By: HusTler to All on Thu Dec 10 2020 07:56 am„ > „ > Hu> So I'm pretty much done setting up my brand new Lenevo Ideapad. It has „ > Hu> AMD A9 processor 3gz. It boots in 15 sec from the 120G SSD. I didn't kn„ > Hu> a laptop could boot that fast. 16 seconds from power on. I want to than„ > Hu> everyone that recommended Lenevo. It really is built to last. I don't n„ > Hu> help with it right now. I just to post my joy :-)„ > „ > „ > i got an SSD but i havent been using it much. i havent even migrated over ye„ > i installed some games on it and didnt really notice much of a difference.„ > just wow played better because it's poorly designed.„„SSD's really shine when it comes to small file access. Spin time is„eliminated and files can be accessed faster.„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net„
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Moondog on Tue Dec 15 18:44:55 2020
    Re: New Toy!„ By: Moondog to MRO on Sun Dec 13 2020 11:41 am„„ > > i got an SSD but i havent been using it much. i havent even migrated over„ > > ye i installed some games on it and didnt really notice much of a„ > > difference. just wow played better because it's poorly designed.„ >„ > SSD's really shine when it comes to small file access. Spin time is„ > eliminated and files can be accessed faster.„„SSDs are advantageous whether small or large file access. There is no longer a contiguous file access issue that there was when we were using spinning disks even in a RAID configuration. Putting SSDs in a RAID configuration (RAID5/6) and wide-striping will improve an already high performing solution increasing IOPS exponentially.„„ Dream Master„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Caught in a Dream - Coming Soon„
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to HusTler on Fri Jan 8 11:21:16 2021
    I'm a big fan of Lenovo Think-series systems. (ThinkStations / ThinkPads / etc). My favorites are the ThinkPads X-series and T-series... I generally run them for a decade or more; however, the last refresh (Jan 2020), I decided to take a chance on a ThinkBook. I love it and it saved me a lot of money over my traditional ThinkPad without a lot of compromises. While I've never directly owned an IdeaPad, I have helped friends and family with them and they seem great too. I'm happy that you're happy with it!

-WitNik

---
    Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *