• System76

From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to All on Fri Feb 19 20:27:15 2021
    Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76 hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace my desktop.„„-WitNik„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *„
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to WitNik on Sat Feb 20 10:20:00 2021
    WitNik wrote to All <=-„„ Wi> Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76„ Wi> hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace my„ Wi> desktop.„„I've been buying System76 for many years now and I've always been happy with„what I've gotten.„„I recently food-chained my old System76 laptop (10 years old) that I upgraded„to use an SSD. It's still going strong.„„My System76 desktop is at least 6 years old now.„„And just last year, I purchased a System76 DarterPro to replace my old laptop. „No problems there either.„„All I do for maintenance is keep up with my Ubuntu updates and upgrade to the„new releases as they come out (usually I wait about a month, though).„„„... Anyone who remembers the 60's...wasn't there.„--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA„
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to WITNIK on Sat Feb 20 09:22:00 2021
    Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76 hardware? I'm th„>nking about giving them a shot when I replace my desktop.„„No, but I do have a Zareason laptop that has been reliable for 6 years now„(knock on wood). When I was shopping, System76 seemed to be a little„higher priced than Zareason's similar offerings. If I ever found myself in„need of a new machine, I would check System76 out again.„„„ * SLMR 2.1a * "Einstein? Who's he? Another troublemaker?" - H.Baines„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP„
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to WitNik on Sat Feb 20 07:53:00 2021
    WitNik wrote to All <=-„„ Wi> Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76„ Wi> hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace my„ Wi> desktop.„„Their laptops were rock-solid, great driver support for Linux and Windows. I „considered using their laptops and Dell XPS 13/15s for a desktop linux „initiative at my company a few years back.„„Don't know about their desktops, but their reputation precedes them.„„„... All of this has happened before, and it will happen again...again...„--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org„
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to WitNik on Sat Feb 20 17:45:03 2021
    On 2/19/2021 9:27 PM, WitNik wrote:
    Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76
    < hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace
    my desktop.

Not a big fan of their current desktops, the cooling is not the
    greatest, but they look nice, and the support is great.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan (tracker1)
    +o roughneckbbs.com
    ---
    ÔŅ≠ Synchronet ÔŅ≠ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Dr. What on Sun Feb 21 16:51:22 2021
    Re: Re: System76„ By: Dr. What to WitNik on Sat Feb 20 2021 10:20 am„„ > -=> WitNik wrote to All <=-„ >„ > Wi> Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76„ > Wi> hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace my„ > Wi> desktop.„ >„ > I've been buying System76 for many years now and I've always been happy with„ > what I've gotten.„ >„ > I recently food-chained my old System76 laptop (10 years old) that I„ > upgraded to use an SSD. It's still going strong.„ >„ > My System76 desktop is at least 6 years old now.„ >„ > And just last year, I purchased a System76 DarterPro to replace my old„ > laptop. No problems there either.„ >„ > All I do for maintenance is keep up with my Ubuntu updates and upgrade to„ > the new releases as they come out (usually I wait about a month, though).„ >„ >„ > ... Anyone who remembers the 60's...wasn't there.„„Dr. What,„„Thank you for replying! I'm a big fan of mini pcs and I'm looking to upgrade. I know I could probably source and build a NUC cheaper than System76 is charging for Meerkat (v5), but I like the though of helping out a small business that support the open source community. I'm glad to hear you've had a great experience with them.„„-WitNik„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *„
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Dumas Walker on Sun Feb 21 16:54:55 2021
    Re: System76„ By: Dumas Walker to WITNIK on Sat Feb 20 2021 09:22 am„„ > No, but I do have a Zareason laptop that has been reliable for 6 years now„ > (knock on wood). When I was shopping, System76 seemed to be a little„ > higher priced than Zareason's similar offerings. If I ever found myself in„ > need of a new machine, I would check System76 out again.„„I've never heard of Zareason, but I'm actually looking to upgrade a desktop and am a fan of Mini PCs. I currently have a very old Gigabyte Brix that has been super-reliable and is still kicking with an SSD and Linux, but I'd like to get something a little more powerful. I know that I could probably source an Intel NUC (which I think the Meerkat 5 is, but rebadged) cheaper, but I liked the idea of helping out a small business that contributes back to the open source community. I'll have to check out Zareason though!„„Thanks for replying,„-WitNik„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *„
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Feb 21 16:57:25 2021
    Re: Re: System76„ By: poindexter FORTRAN to WitNik on Sat Feb 20 2021 07:53 am„„ > Their laptops were rock-solid, great driver support for Linux and Windows. I„ > considered using their laptops and Dell XPS 13/15s for a desktop linux„ > initiative at my company a few years back.„ > Don't know about their desktops, but their reputation precedes them.„„Thanks for replying! Yeah, I keep hearing great things about what they are doing, as well as their support after-the-sale. I thought I might give them a try.„„The Thelios desktops seem a bit over-kill for my needs, but the Meerkat is a good fit for my use cases. Also, on the Thelios, while I love the design of the case internally, I don't know how I feel about the wood panels. =)„„-WitNik„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *„
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Tracker1 on Sun Feb 21 16:58:09 2021
    Re: Re: System76„ By: Tracker1 to WitNik on Sat Feb 20 2021 05:45 pm„„ > < hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace„ > > my desktop.„ >„ > Not a big fan of their current desktops, the cooling is not the„„Are you refering to the Thelios or the Meerkat on the cooling?„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *„
  • From paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 23 09:31:00 2021
    No, but I do have a Zareason laptop that has been reliable for 6 years„ DW> now (knock on wood). When I was shopping, System76 seemed to be a little„ DW> higher priced than Zareason's similar offerings. If I ever found myself„ DW> in need of a new machine, I would check System76 out again.„„I think you'd have to, or at least look elsewhere, as Zareason has recently went out of business. :(„„„„|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o„|08.........„
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to WITNIK on Tue Feb 23 16:41:00 2021
    I've never heard of Zareason, but I'm actually looking to upgrade a desktop and„>am a fan of Mini PCs. I currently have a very old Gigabyte Brix that has been s„>per-reliable and is still kicking with an SSD and Linux, but I'd like to get so„>ething a little more powerful. I know that I could probably source an Intel NUC„>(which I think the Meerkat 5 is, but rebadged) cheaper, but I liked the idea of„>helping out a small business that contributes back to the open source community„>I'll have to check out Zareason though!„„I agree, especially in this day and age, it is good to be able to help out„a small company that supports the community! Good luck with your search.„„P.S. There is a review of a System 76 laptop (not exactly what you are„looking for, but...) today on osnews.com. It was near the top of the page„this morning!„„„ * SLMR 2.1a * Basic Flying Rule #1: Keep the pointy end forward.„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP„
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PAULIE420 on Tue Feb 23 16:51:00 2021
    I think you'd have to, or at least look elsewhere, as Zareason has recently wen„> out of business. :(„„Rats! I really like my laptop. Another good thing about them was that you„could choose from a few different *nix distros instead of just being stuck„with only one or two that were offered. It was not an infinite list, but„it had several choices when I ordered.„„How is that TV project coming along? I am still toying with the idea of„setting up my own in-house TV station... have been ripping things from DVD„and finding some PD stuff on the internet.„„„ * SLMR 2.1a * Sir! Jem'ha'dar warship approachin-- ^{+Kx NO CARRIER„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP„
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to paulie420 on Wed Feb 24 08:16:00 2021
    paulie420 wrote to Dumas Walker <=-„„ pa> I think you'd have to, or at least look elsewhere, as Zareason has„ pa> recently went out of business. :(„„*sad* I never bought from them, but they were always on my possible list.„„But they were a California small business, which was the first strike against„them (Lefties hate small businesses, for some reason).„„When I did a search about them, they said that they were heading downhill„anyway„and the scam-demic was the final straw.„„It's a bummer. Competition in the market place is always a good thing and„now we have less of it.„„„... I'm not lost, I'm "locationally challenged."„--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA„
  • From hollowone@VERT/AMIGAC to WitNik on Wed Feb 24 16:11:00 2021
    Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with System76„ Wi> hardware? I'm thinking about giving them a shot when I replace my„ Wi> desktop.„„I didn't know such a thing exists. Great to see this is not only a product but„also an open-source spec how to build your own. DYI culture forever! Thanks!„„/h1„... Typing from HackinDOS, iMac converted to work natively with FreeDOS 1.2„--- MultiMail/Win v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 4,000+ files„
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Wed Feb 24 06:53:00 2021
    Dumas Walker wrote to PAULIE420 <=-„„ DW> Rats! I really like my laptop. Another good thing about them was that„ DW> you could choose from a few different *nix distros instead of just„ DW> being stuck with only one or two that were offered. It was not an„ DW> infinite list, but it had several choices when I ordered.„„I thought that now the distros had reached hardware parity - have hardware „that's supported by one distro and you could install another one without too „much fear of lack of support, as long as you support non-free drivers as a „fallback?„„„„„... Do the words need changing?„--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org„
  • From WitNik@VERT/BGGRSCYN to hollowone on Thu Feb 25 01:56:43 2021
    Re: Re: System76„ By: hollowone to WitNik on Wed Feb 24 2021 04:11 pm„„ > I didn't know such a thing exists. Great to see this is not only a product„ > but also an open-source spec how to build your own. DYI culture forever!„ > Thanks!„„For sure! I ended up getting an Intel Gen 10 NUC with an i5 that matched the System76 spec. I could source it at NewEgg.com for about $325 cheaper that what System76 wanted for it. Also, the forums seem to basically say the Meerkat (rev 5) is basically identitical to what I have with a branded case cover.„„I've just gotten my desk reconfigured for it and my other systems. Tomorrow I'm going through the OS on it =)„„-WitNik„„---„ Ģ Synchronet Ģ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *„