• recommend good pwr'd usb hub?

From Ogg@VERT/TRMB to All on Mon May 10 11:00:35 2021
    Can anyone recommend a good brand/model of a powered usb hub?ããIt's for use on an older Toshiba Satellite that only has one built-in usb port.ãOnly a max 4 total ports are needed. One that a friend was using has separateãon/off switches for each port, but when in use - even with just one enabledãdevice, the hub seemed to shut down and the attached device wouldn't work.ããI forget the brand that he was using (it certainly wasn't a brand I ever heardãof), but it felt very light and cheap. He got his from an online store calledãWish for under $10.ããAt this point, quality brand would be a better idea?ããAny recommendations?ãã---ã þ Synchronet þ The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canadaã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Ogg on Mon May 10 17:12:00 2021
    Hello Ogg;ãã-=> Ogg wrote to All <=-ãã Og> Can anyone recommend a good brand/model of a powered usb hub?ã[snip]ã Og> Any recommendations?ããBelieve it or not, Staple's brand stuff in this realm is pretty decent.ãTheir USB<>Serial adapters contain the prolific chips which work darn goodãand I purchased one of their 4-port powered USB hubs for a client years agoãand it's still working like a champ. Sometimes you can find gold in storeãbrand stuff.ããã... Heisenberg may have slept here.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Rmo70@VERT/HERCULES to Ogg on Tue May 11 09:56:48 2021
    Re: recommend good pwr'd usb hub?ã By: Ogg to All on Mon May 10 2021 11:00:35ããI was in the same boat with my old IBM T41 laptop, it only had two USB ports.ããWhat I found as a great solution was a USB Numeric Keypad that also has two USB ports, I only got one extra port with it but it also gave me a nice keypad that's easier to enter numbers with than the laptops keyboard.ãã---ã þ Synchronet þ hercules - bbs.herculesworkshop.netã
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Brian Rogers on Tue May 11 20:23:00 2021
    Hello Brian Rogers!ãã** On Monday 10.05.21 - 17:12, Brian Rogers wrote to Ogg:ãã BR> Believe it or not, Staple's brand stuff in this realm isã BR> pretty decent.ããI have a Staple's branded stapler - takes the full size of a ãrack of staples - and the spring loading makes for power-like ãaction.ãã BR> Their USB<>Serial adapters contain the prolific chipsã BR> which work darn good and I purchased one of their 4-portã BR> powered USB hubs for a client years ago and it's stillã BR> working like a champ. Sometimes you can find gold inã BR> storebrand stuff.ããThe one and only Staples branded hub is Out of Stock. :(ããThe Staples 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub - $19.99ããLooked like a great choice.ããBut I think I will go for this one:ããhttps://www.staples.ca/products/47869-en-aluratek-7-port-usb- ã20-hub-with-ac-adapter = $32ããI can't believe that some of these hub devices are over $100!ããThis is the site and the 4-port version my friend got ãinitially:ããhttps://www.wish.com/product/5ec3ac424085a7a1a64a7b3bããPiece of junk, apparently.ãããã--- OpenXP 5.0.49ã * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)ã þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTPã
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Rmo70 on Tue May 11 20:28:00 2021
    Hello Rmo70!ãã** On Tuesday 11.05.21 - 09:56, Rmo70 wrote to Ogg:ãã R> I was in the same boat with my old IBM T41 laptop, it onlyã R> had two USB ports.ããStill have a T40p here. Same problem.. not enough USB ports! ãOne of them seemed to go kaput.ãã R> What I found as a great solution was a USB Numeric Keypadã R> that also has two USB ports, I only got one extra port withã R> it but it also gave me a nice keypad that's easier to enterã R> numbers with than the laptops keyboard.ããSimilar story here.. I had a "spare" iMac G3 full-size keyboard ãwith a numeric keybad that had 2 USB ports. I used that for ãextra USB purposes - plus I liked the handy numeric keypad for ãdata entry of receipts.ããBut.. I fear that in my case, the friend would need a powered ãhub.ããã--- OpenXP 5.0.49ã * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)ã þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTPã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Ogg on Wed May 12 11:25:00 2021
    Hey Ogg;ãã-=> Ogg wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã Og> I have a Staple's branded stapler - takes the full size of aã Og> rack of staples - and the spring loading makes for power-likeã Og> action.ãã<G>ãã Og> The one and only Staples branded hub is Out of Stock. :(ã Og> The Staples 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub - $19.99ã Og> Looked like a great choice.ããSounds like you have the same sort of luck I do when I go shopping! ã"Outta-Stock" seems to be the brand that keeps coming up when I look for ãthings. :\ãã Og> But I think I will go for this one:ã Og> https://www.staples.ca/products/47869-en-aluratek-7-port-usb-ã Og> 20-hub-with-ac-adapter = $32ããThat should do the job.ãã Og> I can't believe that some of these hub devices are over $100!ããTwo pieces of hardware I think we've gone backwards on are:ãRaspberryPiãUSBãWhen I woke up today my USB keyboard and mouse were deadlocked! FortunatelyãI was able to get in via my cellphone using JuiceSSH and killed my Xorgãsession... then restarted my desktop (Trinity - a rewrite of KDE3). I alsoãhad one of my packet TNCs on USB and that snoozed daily. Once on a realã9-pin serial port, it's been alive and well since.ããã Og> This is the site and the 4-port version my friend gotã Og> initially:ã Og> https://www.wish.com/product/5ec3ac424085a7a1a64a7b3bã Og> Piece of junk, apparently.ããAnother place you can check is geeks.com. I know they've changed but yearsãago I got some great stuff from them at decent prices! Two "build your own"ãkits I got I still have - 20 years later - and both work just fine!ããwish.com just sounds like something you'd use to send John Cena to visit aãvery unfortunate child :)ãã... Heisenberg may have slept here.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Ogg on Wed May 12 11:27:00 2021
    Ogg/Rmo70 wrote... <=-ãã R> I was in the same boat with my old IBM T41 laptop, it onlyã R> had two USB ports.ããWow! I have 2 IBM R40 thinkpads which I just got new bios batteries for.ãOne is online for ham radio testing of my software on Fedora. Some of thoseãoriginal ThinkPads just seem to go forever - although I need cooling fans ãfor both. Getting a tad noisy - probably dustballs <G>ãã... Got my tie caught in the fax... Suddenly I was in L.A.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Brian Rogers on Wed May 12 21:26:00 2021
    Hello Brian Rogers!ãã** On Wednesday 12.05.21 - 11:27, Brian Rogers wrote to Ogg:ãã BR> Wow! I have 2 IBM R40 thinkpads which I just got new biosã BR> batteries for. One is online for ham radio testing of myã BR> software on Fedora. Some of those original ThinkPads justã BR> seem to go forever - although I need cooling fans forã BR> both. Getting a tad noisy - probably dustballs <G>ããMy T40p is laying dormant for a while. It needs a new cpu fan, ãand probably some cleaning in the side vent. Sometimes it fails ãto boot with a "Fan warning.." message. Sometimes I can just ãblow gently through the side vent to force the fan to spin for ãa few seconds.. and then the boot works. But the fan still ãremains a bit noisy.ããThe plan is to dedicate the machine as my Spotify server ãconnected to my hifi. I love a room-filling sound from my ãfloor speakers. I would take the laptop to my shop to access ãthe DSL, fetch the tunes I want, and then play things "offline" ãwhen I'm home.ããã--- OpenXP 5.0.49ã * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)ã þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTPã
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Brian Rogers on Thu May 13 07:04:00 2021
    Re: recommend good pwr'd usbã By: Brian Rogers to Ogg on Wed May 12 2021 11:25 amãã > That should do the job.ã >ã > Og> I can't believe that some of these hub devices are over $100!ã >ã > Two pieces of hardware I think we've gone backwards on are:ã > RaspberryPiã > USBã > When I woke up today my USB keyboard and mouse were deadlocked! Fortunatelyã > I was able to get in via my cellphone using JuiceSSH and killed my Xorgã > session... then restarted my desktop (Trinity - a rewrite of KDE3). I alsoã > had one of my packet TNCs on USB and that snoozed daily. Once on a realã > 9-pin serial port, it's been alive and well since.ã >ã >ã > Og> This is the site and the 4-port version my friend gotã > Og> initially:ã > Og> https://www.wish.com/product/5ec3ac424085a7a1a64a7b3bã > Og> Piece of junk, apparently.ã >ã > Another place you can check is geeks.com. I know they've changed but yearsã > ago I got some great stuff from them at decent prices! Two "build your own"ãããwhoever buys shit from wish.com is nuts.ã---ã þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Ogg on Thu May 13 10:40:00 2021
    Hey Ogg;ãã-=> Ogg wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã Og> My T40p is laying dormant for a while. It needs a new cpu fan,ã Og> and probably some cleaning in the side vent. Sometimes it failsã Og> to boot with a "Fan warning.." message. Sometimes I can justã Og> blow gently through the side vent to force the fan to spin forã Og> a few seconds.. and then the boot works. But the fan stillã Og> remains a bit noisy.ããI've had that on occasion where I've had to take a huge breath and blowãas hard as I could underneath to get the fan to torque up... and then you canãhear the bearings making noise. I -could- open it up and work some WD40 or theãlikes into it but it's only a bandaid, and opening those cases is not a funãtask. I'd rather do it the right way and replace it - if I can find any!ãã Og> The plan is to dedicate the machine as my Spotify serverã Og> connected to my hifi. I love a room-filling sound from myã Og> floor speakers. I would take the laptop to my shop to accessã Og> the DSL, fetch the tunes I want, and then play things "offline"ã Og> when I'm home.ããNice! That's somewhat similar to what I do with one of DSL.net's old mail ãservers <G> (yes a former employer - I was in the NOC) It's an IBM Netfinityã5000 with Raid 5/SCSI drives. Sounds like a 747 getting ready for take-off!..ãbut the hot-swap raid is nice for hosting all my music. I have a very lowãpower FM Stereo transmitter in it so I can crank it up on my 70's audiophileãMarantz, but when people who've never been here want to come I tell them driveãslow on my street and when you hear music at 92.9 FM, you're here. SometimesãI catch people sitting in front tuned in parked - jamming a song or two beforeãtaking off again. I could set it up in the attic and gain a bit of ERP ;->ãã... What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind! - Homer S.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Thu May 13 11:09:00 2021
    MRO wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã MR> whoever buys shit from wish.com is nuts.ããI never heard of them until in here. I've actually had decent luck with eBayãon stuff, even used stuff. One item I almost didn't was an all-in-one Brotherãunit that the post office lost on me. From NYC<>Hartford should be overnightãbut took the government 2 months to get it to me. When it arrived the boxãwas damaged to the point the tape on it gave way. I knew inside the unitã*had* to be damaged, and it was. ããPost office refused to file an insurance claim even though it was -their-ãfault. Fortunately it was only slightly damaged on the inside and I foundãa local place that repaired it for under $100USD. Since I paid a very lowãprice to begin with, the repair cost was fine and I still got a very goodãunit for less than $200USD. They sold used for $300USD on average so I stillãmade out pretty good.ããThe issue it had was apparently there's a sensor inside that unit which ãinsures that the toner is properly lined up and that sensor somehow was movedãwhen it fell/was dropped/got crushed/etc. by USPS. Replacing the sensor did ãthe trick. It's been in service for my company with the fax off my asteriskãserver for 2 years now, and I don't think it ever gave me a paper jam. :)ãã... Got my tie caught in the fax... Suddenly I was in L.A.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Brian Rogers on Thu May 13 20:36:00 2021
    Re: recommend good pwr'd usbã By: Brian Rogers to MRO on Thu May 13 2021 11:09 amãã > -=> MRO wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ã >ã > MR> whoever buys shit from wish.com is nuts.ã >ã > I never heard of them until in here. I've actually had decent luck with eBayã > on stuff, even used stuff. One item I almost didn't was an all-in-oneããit's basically chinese selling you shit on there to rip you off.ããi tried it once because a friend posted a good deal on a phone.ãi got a usb cord to charge a phone instead. and it didnt look safe for that.ããi got my money back quick, though.ã---ã þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::ã
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Brian Rogers on Thu May 13 06:35:00 2021
    Brian Rogers wrote to Ogg <=-ãã -=> Ogg/Rmo70 wrote... <=-ãã BR> Wow! I have 2 IBM R40 thinkpads which I just got new bios batteriesã BR> for. One is online for ham radio testing of my software on Fedora. Someã BR> of those original ThinkPads just seem to go forever - although I needã BR> cooling fans for both. Getting a tad noisy - probably dustballs <G>ããThe 4x series Thinkpads are easy to work on and easy to find parts on eBay - ãand the repair manuals are online showing you exactly how to ãdisassemble/assemble them. I ran a T42 until just recently and had replaced ãthe wrist wrest, trackpad and fan over the years.ããIf you're the least bit handy, you could open one up, blow the dust out of ãthe fan and the heat sink assembly, remove the sink and replace the thermal ãgrease on the CPU in about a half an hour. I fixed my noisy fan with a drop ãof 3-in-1 oil on the spindle and replaced the 10+ year old grease, and the ãfan ran less (and ran more quietly) as a result.ããThe R is the big, heavy desktop replacement model, isn't it? Huge power ãbrick and a desktop-class CPU? That should be even easier to work on.ããã... From nothing to more than nothingã--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.orgã
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ogg on Thu May 13 06:37:00 2021
    Ogg wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã Og> My T40p is laying dormant for a while. It needs a new cpu fan,ã Og> and probably some cleaning in the side vent. Sometimes it failsã Og> to boot with a "Fan warning.." message. Sometimes I can justã Og> blow gently through the side vent to force the fan to spin forã Og> a few seconds.. and then the boot works. But the fan stillã Og> remains a bit noisy.ããSee my post to Brian - T4x series laptops are easy to work on, and ãreplacement fans are cheap on eBay. A drop of oil, replacing the thermal ãpaste and a good blowing out might take care of your problems.ããã... From nothing to more than nothingã--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.orgã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Fri May 14 09:40:00 2021
    MRO wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã MR> it's basically chinese selling you shit on there to rip you off.ããI do see that a lot online everywhere, even Amazon and eBay. I have orderedãstuff from a few of them and have had decent luck.ãã MR> i tried it once because a friend posted a good deal on a phone.ã MR> i got a usb cord to charge a phone instead. and it didnt look safe forã MR> that.ãã MR> i got my money back quick, though.ããNice! At least you did. I ordered a phone from one who claimed it wasãa model I was looking for. I love the Galaxy Note 3 and wanted the modelã#5000 which is european in nature. It's the only model you supposedly canãbump the droid version up beyond 5. The one I received instead was some ãKorean provider and it was locked. They fought me on a return/refund soãI asked ebay to step in and provided pics of the splash screen and otherãinfo right off the device. Got my money back. Took a while but I did get it.ãããã... Is it ok to yell "theater" in a crowded firehouse?ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri May 14 09:48:00 2021
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã pF> The 4x series Thinkpads are easy to work on and easy to find parts onã pF> eBay - and the repair manuals are online showing you exactly how toã pF> disassemble/assemble them. I ran a T42 until just recently and hadã pF> replaced the wrist wrest, trackpad and fan over the years.ããI had a T-series, can't recall the specific model number. I do recall forãthe time I had it, it was decent.ãã pF> If you're the least bit handy, you could open one up, blow the dust outã pF> of the fan and the heat sink assembly, remove the sink and replace theã pF> thermal grease on the CPU in about a half an hour. I fixed my noisy fanã pF> with a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the spindle and replaced the 10+ year oldã pF> grease, and the fan ran less (and ran more quietly) as a result.ããI can open these up and replace the bios battery in a matter of minutes. ãTypically I do what you do as long as the fan isn't thin plastic, and thatãthe spindle area hasn't cracked from getting overheated. If that's true thenãa touch of grease and a bit of oil in the spindle typically helps as you say.ãã pF> The R is the big, heavy desktop replacement model, isn't it? Huge powerã pF> brick and a desktop-class CPU? That should be even easier to work on.ããNot at all. The CPU is a mobile celeron, and the power is a thin brick not aãhuge one. The older models had the big brick power converters, even the Tãseries. ãã... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri May 14 09:49:00 2021
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Ogg <=-ãã pF> See my post to Brian - T4x series laptops are easy to work on, andã pF> replacement fans are cheap on eBay. A drop of oil, replacing theã pF> thermal paste and a good blowing out might take care of your problems.ããI forgot to mention, there's also some great DIY vids on YouTube thatãshow you step by step what to do to disassemble them as well... 30lb ãsledgehammer NOT required <G>ãã... A model A is over 100 years old and is in better shape that most of us!ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri May 14 20:12:00 2021
    Hello poindexter FORTRAN!ãã** On Thursday 13.05.21 - 06:37, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Ogg:ãã pF> See my post to Brian - T4x series laptops are easy to workã pF> on, and replacement fans are cheap on eBay. A drop of oil,ã pF> replacing the thermal paste and a good blowing out mightã pF> take care of your problems.ããI hear ya. I was forced to do exactly that job for a dearly ãbeloved T60 (which I am using now). The "blow in the exhaust" ãtrick did not work for this one. The fan simply failed to even ãtry to spin at boot, I guess. So, I started to take it apart. ãIn the meantime, I ordered a new fan and some heatsink grease ãfrom A-n.ããUpon putting it all together, I was left with one extra screw ãthat didn't seem to fit in any of the spots I though it should.ããBut the pc booted up right, the first time. The fan seems to ãrun most of the time, but it's much quieter than what I ãremember.ããNow I have some confidence to tackle the T40p.ããWhen the T60 (w/XP) seemed to be aging (primarily because I was ãrunning out of its original capacity of 230GB hdd, I purchased ãa used T540p (w/Win7), 1TB SSD. But I don't like using that ãone primarily because I can't get used to using the new-style ãtrackpad, and the chicklet keys.ãã--ãã--- OpenXP 5.0.49ã * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)ã þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTPã
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Brian Rogers on Fri May 14 21:25:12 2021
    Re: recommend good pwr'd usbã By: Brian Rogers to MRO on Fri May 14 2021 09:40 amãã >ã > MR> i got my money back quick, though.ã >ã > Nice! At least you did. I ordered a phone from one who claimed it wasã > a model I was looking for. I love the Galaxy Note 3 and wanted the modelã > #5000 which is european in nature. It's the only model you supposedly canã > bump the droid version up beyond 5. The one I received instead was someã > Korean provider and it was locked. They fought me on a return/refund soã > I asked ebay to step in and provided pics of the splash screen and otherã > info right off the device. Got my money back. Took a while but I did get it.ã >ã >ããokay that's ebay. i'm talking about wish.com most of that shit is fake.ãthe asians get their postage covered by the chinese govt so it's no skin off their nose.ã---ã þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Sat May 15 00:50:00 2021
    MRO wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã MR> okay that's ebay. i'm talking about wish.com most of that shit isã MR> fake. the asians get their postage covered by the chinese govt so it'sã MR> no skin off their nose. ---ãããI'll count my blessings I never went there.ãã... Never judge a fruit by its skin. Neelixã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Brian Rogers on Sat May 15 09:48:00 2021
    Hello Brian Rogers!ãã** On Saturday 15.05.21 - 00:50, Brian Rogers wrote to MRO:ãã MR>> okay that's ebay. i'm talking about wish.com most ofã MR>> that shit is fake. the asians get their postage coveredã MR>> by the chinese govt so it's no skin off their nose. ---ãã BR> I'll count my blessings I never went there.ããThe first time I heard of wish.com was from the same fellow ãabout 2 years ago - regarding another "device" that didn't seem ãto work right. The listings all seemed "too good to be true" ãto me. WHY he settles for wish.com when there are more ãreliable, trustworthy domestic places like bestbuy.ca or ãstaples.ca to choose from ..boggles my mind.ããThe fellow seems to have a way of owning crap or junking ãsomething that used to work quite well. I've ended up being his ãfinal goto person to "fix" things: replacement ram upgrades, ãsoftware issues (viruses, updates, restore-points, etc.)ããMost recently he's asked me to look at of those all-in-one ãiMacs that a previous friend had owned. I remember seeing that ãiMac in fine operational order by the original owner. After ãthis next guy gets it, it looks like it was dragged through a ãbomb zone. The iMac doesn't boot quite right. I haven't looked ãit at length, but I dread the task. But I digress..ããã--- OpenXP 5.0.49ã * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)ã þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTPã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Ogg on Sat May 15 18:15:00 2021
    Hey Ogg;ãã-=> Ogg wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã Og> The first time I heard of wish.com was from the same fellowã Og> about 2 years ago - regarding another "device" that didn't seemã Og> to work right. The listings all seemed "too good to be true"ã Og> to me. WHY he settles for wish.com when there are moreã Og> reliable, trustworthy domestic places like bestbuy.ca orã Og> staples.ca to choose from ..boggles my mind.ããSee if you can get to geeks.com. That may be another option for you.ãã Og> Most recently he's asked me to look at of those all-in-oneã Og> iMacs that a previous friend had owned. I remember seeing thatã Og> iMac in fine operational order by the original owner. Afterã Og> this next guy gets it, it looks like it was dragged through aã Og> bomb zone. The iMac doesn't boot quite right. I haven't lookedã Og> it at length, but I dread the task. But I digress..ããI believe geeks.com deals with Mac stuff too, along with newegg and a fewãothers. I don't know if they deal into Canada however.ãã... 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Brian Rogers on Sun May 16 14:14:00 2021
    On 05-14-21 09:49, Brian Rogers wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-ãã BR> ... A model A is over 100 years old and is in better shape that most ofã BR> us! ããSpeak for yourself! ;Pããã... The truest wild beasts live in the most populous places.ã--- MultiMail/Win v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.auã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Vk3jed on Sun May 16 19:59:00 2021
    Vk3jed wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã BR> ... A model A is over 100 years old and is in better shape that most ofã BR> us!ãã Vk> Speak for yourself! ;PããUnfortunately, I was. :\ãã... Vegetarians beware! You are what you eatã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Brian Rogers on Mon May 17 17:25:00 2021
    On 05-16-21 19:59, Brian Rogers wrote to Vk3jed <=-ãã BR> @VIA: VERT/CARNAGEã -=> Vk3jed wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã BR> ... A model A is over 100 years old and is in better shape that most ofã BR> us!ãã Vk> Speak for yourself! ;Pãã BR> Unfortunately, I was. :\ããHaha, yeah I'm actually a Masters sprinter, currently ranked 8th in the stateãassociation for the 100 metres (M50-59), but allowing for some pro runners whoãare not state members, probably around 12-15th in the state. :) I'm also aãnational finalist in the 60 and 200 metres. In short, not your average BBSãsysop or ham. ;)ããActually, I'm in Queensland right now, on the Gold Coast, making a family visitãat the halfway mark to my ultimate destination, which is Cairns in far northãQueensland for the Great Barrier Reef Masters Games, which are on this comingãweekend. :) I make the second half of the trip in 2 stages tomorrow andãWednesday - train to Brisbane tomorrow and then fly from there to Cairns theãnext morning. :) My last meet of the 2021-22 season on Saturday. And the nextãday, I have a 5k road race. :)ããã... If you try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.ã--- MultiMail/Win v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.auã
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Brian Rogers on Sun May 16 09:55:00 2021
    Brian Rogers wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-ãã pF> The R is the big, heavy desktop replacement model, isn't it? Huge powerã pF> brick and a desktop-class CPU? That should be even easier to work on.ãã BR> Not at all. The CPU is a mobile celeron, and the power is a thin brickã BR> not a huge one. The older models had the big brick power converters,ã BR> even the T series.ããYeah, I think the G series were the desktop replacements - 7-8 pounds, with ãa monster power supply and a desktop CPU.ããã... The answers will be found in the logs.ã--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.orgã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Vk3jed on Mon May 17 07:48:00 2021
    Vk3jed wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã Vk> Haha, yeah I'm actually a Masters sprinter, currently ranked 8th in theã Vk> state association for the 100 metres (M50-59), but allowing for someã Vk> pro runners who are not state members, probably around 12-15th in theã Vk> state. :) I'm also a national finalist in the 60 and 200 metres. Inã Vk> short, not your average BBS sysop or ham. ;)ããCongrats! I gave up running when neuropathy set in my legs - and has beenãspreading into my arms/hands. Makes typing a bit of a chore compared to whatãit used to be. Come to think of it, "used to be" can be injected into almostãa lot of us old-timer sentences <G>ãã Vk> Actually, I'm in Queensland right now, on the Gold Coast, making aã Vk> family visit at the halfway mark to my ultimate destination, which isã Vk> Cairns in far north Queensland for the Great Barrier Reef Mastersã Vk> Games, which are on this coming weekend. :) I make the second half ofã Vk> the trip in 2 stages tomorrow and Wednesday - train to Brisbaneã Vk> tomorrow and then fly from there to Cairns the next morning. :) Myã Vk> last meet of the 2021-22 season on Saturday. And the next day, I haveã Vk> a 5k road race. :)ããWhat?? You're not jogging the whole distance? :-) Good luck in your race!ãã Vk> ... If you try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.ããI'm lucky to survive a cross hallway trot - to the bog <G>ãã... "Are we clinging tenatiously to my buttocks?"- Powdered Toast Manã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 18 09:12:00 2021
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã pF> Yeah, I think the G series were the desktop replacements - 7-8 pounds,ã pF> with a monster power supply and a desktop CPU.ããNow it's a challenge to find decent batteries that aren't shelf stock withãa decade or so worth of dust on them. I have mine on a UPS but the extraãbattery time helps in the event of an extended outage.ãã... MCCC Rule #3: You can only beat a deputy so much.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Brian Rogers on Wed May 19 09:31:00 2021
    On 05-17-21 07:48, Brian Rogers wrote to Vk3jed <=-ãã Vk> state. :) I'm also a national finalist in the 60 and 200 metres. Inã Vk> short, not your average BBS sysop or ham. ;)ãã BR> Congrats! I gave up running when neuropathy set in my legs - and hasã BR> been spreading into my arms/hands. Makes typing a bit of a choreããThat's a bit of a bummer. Typing is OK, handwriting is a chore, but thatãalways has been. I suspect the cause is undiagnosed dyspraxia(AKA DCD in someãparts of the world). My coordination isn't naturally good, it's just beenãheavily worked on over many years - not formal therapy, just participating inãsport, gymnasics was especially beneficial (and I actually got into that byãaccident when I was 15! :D ).ãã BR> compared to what it used to be. Come to think of it, "used to be" canã BR> be injected into almost a lot of us old-timer sentences <G>ããI can still speak in the present tense, and as I get to know more and tweakãtraining, I can say I'm like a good fortified wine - I'm getting better withãage. :)ãã BR> What?? You're not jogging the whole distance? :-) Good luck in yourã BR> race!ããHaha I'm a sprinter, so taking the jet is more my style! :D Speaking of which,ãwe've just levelled out at cruising altitude. :) Of course, you'll get thisãNASA style, after the fact, because I have to upload after I land. :)ãã Vk> ... If you try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.ãã BR> I'm lucky to survive a cross hallway trot - to the bog <G>ããHaha :Dãã BR> ... "Are we clinging tenatiously to my buttocks?"- Powdered Toast ManããHmm, not touching that one. ;)ããã... If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving.ã--- MultiMail/Win v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.auã
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Vk3jed on Wed May 19 17:09:00 2021
    Hello Tony;ãã-=> Vk3jed wrote to Brian Rogers <=-ãã Vk> That's a bit of a bummer. Typing is OK, handwriting is a chore, butã Vk> that always has been. I suspect the cause is undiagnosed dyspraxia(AKAã Vk> DCD in some parts of the world). My coordination isn't naturally good,ã Vk> it's just been heavily worked on over many years - not formal therapy,ã Vk> just participating in sport, gymnasics was especially beneficial (and Iã Vk> actually got into that by accident when I was 15! :D ).ããAs long as you don't trip over your own two feet, it's all good right? :)ãã Vk> I can still speak in the present tense, and as I get to know more andã Vk> tweak training, I can say I'm like a good fortified wine - I'm gettingã Vk> better with age. :)ããI peaked at 50 I'd say. And I'm also ticked off at those who call your seniorãyears "golden"! My eyesite is still 20/20... it's RUST not GOLDEN!! You canãfool some of the people some of the time... <G>ãã Vk> Haha I'm a sprinter, so taking the jet is more my style! :D Speakingã Vk> of which, we've just levelled out at cruising altitude. :) Of course,ã Vk> you'll get this NASA style, after the fact, because I have to uploadã Vk> after I land. :)ããI haven't flown since prior to 9/11. No real interest either. Folks tell meãhorror stories about airports here now. No need for me to find out first hand.ãã Vk> ... If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving.ããHa! Like the suicide bomber who practiced first <G>ãã... I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.ã--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.ã
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Brian Rogers on Thu May 20 15:27:00 2021
    On 05-19-21 17:09, Brian Rogers wrote to Vk3jed <=-ãã Vk> actually got into that by accident when I was 15! :D ).ãã BR> As long as you don't trip over your own two feet, it's all good right?ã BR> :)ããHaha yeah. :)ãã Vk> I can still speak in the present tense, and as I get to know more andã Vk> tweak training, I can say I'm like a good fortified wine - I'm gettingã Vk> better with age. :)ãã BR> I peaked at 50 I'd say. And I'm also ticked off at those who call yourã BR> senior years "golden"! My eyesite is still 20/20... it's RUST notã BR> GOLDEN!! You can fool some of the people some of the time... <G>ããYeah I'm still doing fine at 53. Saturday will be the big test, with a bigãheadwind, which should favour me slightly, I have decent power under load. :)ãã BR> I haven't flown since prior to 9/11. No real interest either. Folksã BR> tell me horror stories about airports here now. No need for me to findã BR> out first hand.ããI still like flying. Airports here aren't too bad.ãã Vk> ... If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving.ãã BR> Ha! Like the suicide bomber who practiced first <G>ããIndeed. ;)ããã... There are always alternatives. Spock, The Galileo Seven, stardate 2822.3.ã--- MultiMail/Win v0.52ã þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.auã