• HGET and HTTPS

From Ducasp to All on Fri Jan 31 00:55:27 2020
    Sorry for english/portuguese, my Spanish is not good at all.

The last version of HGET was updated by me, I`ve added quite a few performance updates as well support for HTTPS, but, HTTPS support needs an adapter that supports it, as MSX (even Turbo-R) can`t even think of calculating all crypto stuff quick enough. So far, the only adapter that supports it is SM-X WiFi adapter (which I`ve made both the ESP8266 firmware and UNAPI). I know that Eugeny will try to make gr8net compatible as well (it has the horsepower, but as it is fpga based, not sure how long he is going to take as he won`t be able to use something like BearSSL), Xavirompe should have it in his XSWiFi as well. And, Konamiman made a tunnel adapter where you can use a linux machine (be it a simple Raspberry Pi 0 or a computer) along with another network card, so the linux machine will do the heavy lifting.

A ultima versao do HGET foi atualizada por mim, adicionei algumas melhorias de performance bem como suporte a HTTPS que foi adotado na ultima revisao da UNAPI TCP-IP, mas, o suporte a HTTPS depende de um adaptador de rede que suporte o mesmo, ja que o MSX (mesmo o Turbo-R) nem sequer sonha em poder calcular toda a criptografia rapidamente (provavelmente levaria dezenas de segundos no Turbo R e minutos no MSX). No momento, o unico adaptador que suporta e o WiFi do SM-X (que eu fiz tanto o firmware do ESP8266 como a UNAPI). Sei que o Eugeny ira tentar fazer a gr8net compativel com HTTPS tambem (ela tem potencia suficiente, mas como e baseada em fpga, nao sei quanto tempo ele levara ja que nao podera usar algo pronto como BearSSL), Xavirompe devera ter esse suporte na XSWiFi tambem. E o Konamiman fez um adaptador tipo tunel que pode usar uma maquina linux (seja um Raspberry Pi 0 ou um computador) junto com uma outra placa de rede, assim a maquina linux faz o trabalho pesado.
  • From Fubukimaru to Ducasp on Fri Jan 31 14:38:22 2020
    Re: HGET and HTTPS
    By: Ducasp to All on Fri Jan 31 2020 00:55:27

The last version of HGET was updated by me, I`ve added quite a few performance updates as well
    support for HTTPS, but, HTTPS support needs an adapter that supports it, as MSX (even Turbo-R) can`t
    even think of calculating all crypto stuff quick enough. So far, the only adapter that supports it
    is SM-X WiFi adapter (which I`ve made both the ESP8266 firmware and UNAPI). I know that Eugeny will
    try to make gr8net compatible as well (it has the horsepower, but as it is fpga based, not sure how
    long he is going to take as he won`t be able to use something like BearSSL), Xavirompe should have
    it in his XSWiFi as well. And, Konamiman made a tunnel adapter where you can use a linux machine (be
    it a simple Raspberry Pi 0 or a computer) along with another network card, so the linux machine will
    do the heavy lifting.

Great news! Any plans for a web-browser?
    :D
  • From Karloch to Ducasp on Sun Feb 2 19:49:44 2020
    By: Ducasp to All on Fri Jan 31 2020 00:55:27

Hi ducasp! So good to see you here :)

The last version of HGET was updated by me, I`ve added quite a few performance updates as well support for HTTPS, but, HTTPS support needs an adapter that supports it, as MSX (even Turbo-R) can`t even think of calculating all crypto stuff quick enough. So far, the only adapter that

Yeah, TLS communications are really needed nowadays, but our MSX need some external power to process them. Even the BBS is a good example: TELNET is a unencrypted and hence unsecured protocol, and while we support also SSH, certainly our MSX won't be able to support it without other hardware doing the encryption work.

and UNAPI). I know that Eugeny will try to make gr8net compatible as well (it has the horsepower, but as it is fpga based, not sure how long he is going to take as he won`t be able to use something like BearSSL), Xavirompe should have it in his XSWiFi as well. And, Konamiman made a tunnel adapter where you can use a linux machine (be it a simple Raspberry Pi 0 or a computer) along with another network card, so the linux machine will do the heavy lifting.

So good that many different approaches are being taken! I was only aware of the Konamiman one. GR8NET has the horsepower, but you are right that implementing a TLS coprocessor on it is not a trivial matter.

Thanks for the news update!

Regards,
    Carlos
  • From Ducasp to Fubukimaru on Thu Apr 2 20:50:10 2020
    By: Fubukimaru to Ducasp on Fri Jan 31 2020 14:38:22

At this moment no plans, a new MSX HUB Client is in the works.

I really do believe a Browser would be severely limited. Just a single image on any web page today easily exceed z80 memory... You might have a compression server between, and I think that there was a browser (fudebrowser) for one of the MSX unixes that did that, I really don`t think this is something cool (not talking bad about fudebrowser, which is an impressive work), why have a browser if close to no MSX has https compatible interface, you have to have a server in the middle negotiating and compressing everything to have a page that is barely browsable... It really is not something that I have plans working on, but I admire anyone who pursue such (difficult) endeavor. :)