HispaMSX

Interface de red de Spectravideo

2000-06-05 10:15:14
Hola,

Estoy buscando informacion acerca del
SVI-709, el interface para conectar en
red ordenadores MSX. Sabe alguien si salio
algun articulo en alguna MSX-Extra o
MSX-Club? En alguna otra revista?
Alguien tiene los manuales? Software
necesario? Viene incluido? Como hacer
que un ordenador arranque como maestro?
He realizado una prueba conectando uno
a un MSX1.
He enviado un msg a la lista en ingles
explicando con mas detalle los descubrimientos.
Añado esos msgs que he mandado al final
para quien este interesado.
Plot, por favor, creo que tu sabes algo
al respecto. Tengo que contactar contigo!!

Manuel

-------------------
1ER MENSAJE
Hi,

I'm trying to find as much info as possible
on the Spectravideo network card (SVI-709).
All I've learnt is from the MSX FAQ:
SVI-709: Network card (printer sharing
interface!)

Does anybody know whether any article
was published in MSX magazines about
this interface?

As Spectravideo manufactured only
MSX1 computers, I think they should
work with first generation computers.

Do these cards need any special software
to run? Do they have built-in software?

Thank you in advance!

Manuel
----------------
2 MENSAJE
Hello,

Paying a little bit of closer attention
one can see that MSX printer conecctors
have 14 pins. However, the SVI-709 has
a 50-pin connector. Therefore, it can't
probably be plugged to the interface
connector.
Could anyboyd please cast some light
on this?
----
(printer sharing interface!)
----

I'll try to take a picture of one tomorrow
so that I can upload it tu funet, as the
picture there shows a network but NOT the
real interface.

Thank you,

Manuel
-------------------
3ER MENSAJE
Hi y'all,

I have just realized of one thing and would
like to share it with you all.
The SVI-709 card 50-pin connector is not
such!
I didn't realize before, but it happens it
has the same "hole" cartridges have in order
to fit the MSX computer slot. So I have
carefully tried to remove the 50-pin connector
from the main piece of hardware and I have
easily detached it! The SVI-709 network
interface card is indeed plugged to the
MSX computer slot just a cartridge game!!

What the MSX FAQ says:
SVI-709: Network card (printer sharing
interface!)

I don't understand much that about "printer
sharing interface". I will definitely take
the pictures tomorrow so that they are
publicly available.

As I told before, I thought these interfaces
should work with MSX1 computers so I have
plugged it in an MSX1 computer and here goes
what the screen has displayed.

WELCOME TO SVI BOND-NET VERSION 1.1
Copyright by SPECTRAVIDEO, 1985

Press N to request log in
Press B to enter MSX BASIC
[I press N]

Enter your password:
[I don't key in any but press return]

No response from master
Login procedure fails

Enter your password:
[Again, I don't key in any but press return]

No response from master
Login procedure fails

Enter your password:
[Again, I don't key in any but press return]

WARNING:
Make sure you have the
correct password. You have
ONE more chance only.
Otherwise, you will go to
MSX BASIC
[I press return for the third time and I
sent to MSX-BASIC, as expected]

All this is very exciting. I had only
plugged the cartridge (no network cables).
The "no response from master" message makes
me think maybe there is a Master cartridge
that is in charge of logins (don't think so
as there is no such Master cartridge listed
in the MSX FAQ Hardware. Maybe two network
interfaces have to be connected and only then
one will work as master, the other as slave.

If anybody knows anything else, just anything,
please, let me know!

Suggestions, whatever, is welcome!!!

Greetings,

Manuel